THE JHOPDI

Cyrus Daily Messages

Rustom K. Irani brought up a subject that he considered important,
which resulted in a meeting of the mandali, and several guests were
also called. (April 1024).

Abdulla Jaffer was made the chairman and, as there was no chair, he
was given a bucket to sit on. The others sat around him on the ground.
Rustom proposed that, since Meher Baba was recognized as the spiritual
chargeman of Hazrat Babajan and Upasni Maharaj, he should have a
separate symbol representing his position. Some proposed wearing a
different shirt, a distinctive cap, or some other form of dress. At
this point, Ghani found fault with the chairman (“bucket-man,” as he
sarcastically called him) and Abdulla was deposed. Ghani was then made
chairman and given a ghamela pot to sit on.

The discussion focused on a proposal to have a symbol to which most
objected. Baba, too, did not like the idea and said, “We are not a
society.” He concluded, “Any mark of distinction would rob us of our
independence and would prove a binding to restrict our minds.”
Therefore, the proposal was thrown out and the meeting ended. But due
to some laxness on the part of both chairmen, Baba made Abdulla and
Ghani hold their ears and do three deep knee-bends while the others
laughed.

A meeting was called during the afternoon of April 15th, (1924) to
suggest a name for Meher Baba’s newly built room. He suggested the
name Jhopdi (simply meaning, the Hut), which all seemed to like; and
so this one-room hut built for the Lord was accordingly christened. It
was also referred to as Agra Kuti – the First Hut.

Another proposal was to name the three animals that were to be brought
to Meherabad. Mehera’s mother, Daulat, had presented Baba with a white
horse; this was the same horse which had belonged to Mehera when she
was living in Poona. A white dog and a white bullock had also been
procured. During the discussion, it was decided that the horse would
be called “Sufi,” the bullock “Saint,” and the dog “Sadhu.”

 Lord Meher, American ed., Bhau Kalchuri, Vol. 2, pp. 607 – 608.

The Jhopdi: